Succession Planning for Business Owners and Leaders
Jan 17, 2024 - 11:00 AM (CT) - Houston Country Club - 1 Potomac Dr, Houston, TX 77057
Hosted by Houston, TX
About this Event
About this event
Join us for an insightful discussion where we explore the consequences of the most common toe stubs experienced by entrepreneurial families as they are planning for their business.
7 out of 10 entrepreneurial families don’t have a formal, written, Succession Plan. For those that do, it is often one dimensional; simply revolving around picking the next CEO. Done right, the plan must address Ownership, Leadership, & Management in equal measures. Like it or not, this means your succession, retirement, buy-sell, asset protection, estate tax, income tax, & investment plans are permanently intertwined.
After serving more than 100 entrepreneurial families, we’ve identified a handful of questions and best practices that we use to help us understand how a plan is likely to unfold in the future. Our hope is that these will be a useful tool for you & your professional team when exploring your own family’s plan.
Throughout the presentation, we will explore the following high-level framework:
- No matter how hard you try, you can’t make a business decision without impacting the family or a family decision without impacting the business.
- Transitions are inevitable - they impact everything you own & everyone you love.
- You have a plan whether you like it or not.
- Goals are overrated.
- Even GPS can’t plot a reliable path forward without knowing your exact current location.
- There is constant tension between fair & equal.
- They say experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want.
- Most people don’t have the time, focus or experience required make the thousands of independent decisions.
- Identify people different from you.
- Resist the temptation to intervene.
- You don’t need to still own your operating company to be “in business.
11:00 AM - 1:00 PM Networking, Lunch & Presentation
About the Speaker
Brandon Henry is a Founder & CEO at Mosaic, a ~20-person team serving ~30 Texas based entrepreneurial families, their Family Offices, and the external professional advisors that support them.
They have nothing to sell. No asset management for an AUM fee. No life insurance for a commission. We don’t draft legal documents. We don’t file tax returns. Their business model is simple, in exchange for a flat, pre-negotiated quarterly retainer, we strive to provide completely objective advice.
Our mission is to empower the families they serve to turn the countless distractions that accompany entrepreneurial success into actionable decisions. To accomplish this, Mosaic plays the role of “General Contractor”, responsible for making sure that all the experts required to design, build, and maintain a plan proactively communicate and collaborate.